Molly and Peter talk about their experience training for Ironman over the last year. They talk about what they liked about the process, hacks, learning and take-a-way skills and tactics you can transfer to whatever big scary event you are training for.
Thank Yous – it takes a community and a lot of inputs and energy to race anything but especially Ironman.
What was the best thing about Ironman?
– a chance to go out west and do a few big adventures, visit friends, be a beginner
– molly nerves/ confidence in swim
What was the best part of training for Ironman?
– learning to swim and double/triple days. training together.
– molly – back to a training plan, training together
What would you do differently if you did it again?
– open water sooner and uphill/downhill running more
– a little harder in bike
MOLLY – interval training
Would You do it again?
-> bucket lists and
-> Negatives of training for Ironman – leeway to eat sugar/badly, sacrifice in other areas of life, stress on body, stress on family
The difference between Training for Molly vs. Peter
-> Swim – molly build vol vs. peter build skill/ability/equipment
-> bike – Peter focused on efficiency/position/bike while molly built time/skill/endurance/engine
-> run – Molly had time to build volume and body adapts well/enjoys vs. Petre limited time but needed to adapt ankles/calf (more confidence in engine/endurance/running for 12hrs/mindset)
-> prep/transition/event knowledge => Peter had more unknowns around how event worked, rearch of event day, aid stations, rules etc.
What advice would you give to a cyclist who wants to do Ironman?
– consider if your skill and speed is sufficient before adding volume
-try and perfect short course
-> Brave athlete ->
What advice to someone with limited endurance back ground (no swim bike or run)
– learn skills/speed
– many local and even bigger profile sprint, Olympic, short, Xterra style TRI that will help you refine position in all sports, develop speed and avoid injury due to over training/volume.
Best Swim Advice – what really helped?
– get into open water asap to work on sighting, and you may like it more.