Why 16 miler?
= frequency and weekly important
= recovery to train again
= very long
– What type of runner should be looking at a first marathon?
– more people in sport, and new to running.
– How do you classify workouts?
– Hansen philosophy
=> EASY vs. SOS (HARD) Running
=> EASY running is not hard(!) – time in feet . 1-1.5 – 2 slower than
=> run in range, not at limit
– 12 x 400 or 8 x 600 or 3 x 1mile (3miles of work)
b) later in plan
strength wo => 10sec/mile faster than marathon (not 1/2marathon)
– 3 x 2miles, 3-2-1 to get 6miles at pace
c) TEMPO – Marathon pace 4-10 miles (could be 2 x 4 mile)
d) Long run – both slow and SOS but long so take focus/difficult
Setting goals for first marathon
=hard without a PB/benchmark
=book has questions to tlook at self
= take 5k into calc -> try to beat ( tweak if good/struggle w. distance)
= Tempo workouts to prepare and gauge off workouts
= Want it to be positive
“Point of the plan is to get tired, but no so tired you get hurt”
– What about the other stuff ( strength, intervals, terrain, etc)
= match course demands (hilly course)
= strength as interested/needed
= careful with speed wo on track
– Peaking / Specific phase before the big marathon race?
= mileage pretty consistent (still 5 / week, slightly less vol/intensity)
= don’t cut too much too soon
= nutrition – watch matches decreased load (not as much as build week)
= “EATING TO THE DAY”
= ok to ‘carbo load’
= 3miles or 30min whatever is less day before race