Today is a ‘best of the podcast’ episode. We are re-posting (With some audio enhancements and no ads) this great episode with renowned coach Dean Golich. We hope you enjoy listening again or for the first time.
Please consider supporting it by:
a) Rate and review on your preferred app! Easy and Free! Thank You!
b) Order Shred-Girls by Molly Hurford https://amzn.to/2RBDlJy
c) Donate to the Podcast www.wideanglepodium.com/donate
DOWNLOAD THIS CONSUMMATE ATHLETE EPISODE
RSS/Play Live/Google: http://consummateathlete.wideanglepodium.libsynpro.com/
Get in Touch With Your Hosts
Have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for a guest? https://consummateathlete.wordpress.com/contact/
Social and Links
Dean GolichCarmichael Training Systems
TOPICS AND LINKS FROM TODAYS SHOW:
1) Education / Certifications / What do Different
University of colarado
-> Ed Burke – (link to Ed’s Books)
-> David Martin
-> worked with Usa cycling
Manage GT MTB 1990-2000
– Allison Dunlap world champ on sept 11 LINK TO STORY
Has been with CTS – 20 years
2) Olympics , tell us about that experience
B) Any trends you noticed ? Cycling advanced, insecure or. Changing ( do what works )
– coach role around race – making too many changes too close to race !
– athlete confidence close to race
C) Surprised by a certain athlete or group of athletes as far as their ability/fitness/training techniques ? (i.e. Cupping!)
= Tim caufield – frauds
= basics are the key, confidence in the preparation
3) How do you handle the discussion of weight loss, body-composition and power:weight with athletes ?
– balanced diet
– Focus on getting more power
– support development
– Get help from nutritionist / psychologist if not making progress.
4) What makes an athlete last longer in a sport ?
– quote “why do we worry about being happy when stressed shape us”
– philosophy — changes???
– don’t rush thru stages / ‘get thru’ / not define you
5) Have you had athletes switch sports and succeed or find enjoyment in another ?
-> I.e Rebecca Rusch just did an interesting challenge after years of endurance mountain biking.
* RR Kilimanjaro – dean helped with Kilimanjaro, prep for Altitude, simulate altitude demands of challenge , pacing off off 78 percent spo2 which she felt
B) Basics altitude – watts not a perfect number
– big tip = show up night before and really focus on pacing – 14 days to accumulate ideal
– Rebecca Rusch – Why You need a coach
-> before switch sports make sure there is a conclusion (fail of success )
-> katarina skiing before coming to cycling
6) How does the training for motocross differ from a mountain bikers ? What does a week look like during ‘off-season’ ?
– Motorcross – specificity + where fit race efforts and supplement strength / cross-train
– heat training
B) nascar – heat training for fireproof in hot car
– using heat and altitude for altitude performance *some help if hot ?)
8) Quantify Training
– Trimps vs. TSS
– How is it different than TSS ?
– link to what is TSS **********
– Performance Modeling Video with Dean – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYNBSCPLXF8
– Coggan –
– hrTSS valid – adds to data pool