Marco Altini PhD, joins us today to talk all things HRV. Marco is our second return guest because all the consummate athletes out there LOVED the first one on HRV. A lot has changed. Marco has been busy as the Lead Data Scientist for @bloom_life (a wearable sensor to help during pregnancy) and the Creator of the HRV app called http://HRV4Training.com. Aside from work, Marco is a Traveler and Passionate Runner, detailing his training with HRV and polarized training techniques on his Instagram and Strava.
Check out the Show Notes at www.consummateathlete.com
Subscribe and Rate on Itunes (please!) – https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/consummate-athlete-podcast/id1100471297?mt=2
Support the Podcast via Wide Angle Podium -> http://wideanglepodium.com/category/consummate-athlete/
The Show is sponsored by: HEALTH IQ
Want to support the show and other awesome podcasts? Please Check out www.wideanglepodium.com for show info, other WAP podcasts and to become a Donating Member (free bonuses!) Visit W.A.P.
on Strava (https://www.strava.com/athletes/maltini)
and Instagram (instagram.com/marco_alt/)
0) What is Marco Up to?
2) Marco’s run training
3) What is new with the HRV4Training app?
– Training Peaks Interaction
– new acute changes analysis that lets you investigate most acute stressors tracked in the app, not only training, but also alcohol intake, menstruation, traveling, etc. http://www.hrv4training.com/blog/analysis-of-physiological-changes-in-response-to-acute-stressors
- 80:20 / POLARIZED analysis in HRV4Training app = Training polarization analysis (Seiler’s research): http://www.hrv4training.com/blog/new-feature-coming-to-hrv4training-training-polarization-analysis (this leads to an older article of mine: https://medium.com/@marco_alt/training-mostly-slow-to-race-kind-of-fast-e604b2f0a910)
4) Studies published with HRV (and the app)?
-> ecg-hrv-h7 -> do you need to use a heart rate strap to measure HRV ??
- Validation of our methods, showing that for heart rate and rMSSD, the camera based measurement is as good as an ECG (or chest strap): http://www.hrv4training.com/blog/validation-paper-accepted-for-publication-in-the-international-journal-of-sports-physiology-and-performance-ppg-vs-polar-h7-vs-electrocardiogram (actual paper: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315059917_Comparison_of_Heart_Rate_Variability_Recording_With_Smart_Phone_Photoplethysmographic_Polar_H7_Chest_Strap_and_Electrocardiogram_Methods )
- As written above, relation between estimated VO2max in the app and running performance: http://www.hrv4training.com/blog/research-update-new-publication-on-the-relation-between-estimated-vo2max-and-real-life-running-performance and paper ( https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312121559_Relation_Between_Estimated_Cardiorespiratory_Fitness_and_Running_Performance_in_Free-Living_an_Analysis_of_HRV4Training_Data )
- Then last one just published, relation between training load, HRV and injury risk in crossfit athletes: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319544061_Heart_Rate_Variability_is_a_Moderating_Factor_in_the_Workload-Injury_Relationship_of_Competitive_CrossFit_Athletes this one is interesting because it shows how you always need multiple parameters and context, i.e. higher injury risk was associated to a high acute to chronic ratio combined to low HRV, and not just one of the two in isolation.
5) What can we say HRV can do? Can’t do?
– measures physiological stress
– normal cond. bpdy positions
– George asks: Saw that you had Marco (HRV4) on your podcast. Wondering…. What is the relationship between fatigue and HRV?
– “use hrv to guide plan, not to make a plan”
– what is normal?
6) Things to do once you have data in the app … What are ‘bad’ things to watch for… how to use the data ??
*Coach app desirable range fits here but also what can a normal user do?
7) Discussion of the 3 studies and what it helps to show/prove / move-forward?
-> I am curious why the high acute: chronic alone didn’t suggest a risk for injury? I suppose this is due to adapting better (i.e. HRV not disrupted)
8) Vo2 estimation -> how to setup and get it working?
9) Book and media to be more like Marco?