Intro/ Sports you have played
– power lift, kettlebell, hand to hand combat,
Education and business how did you get here.
-wildlife biologist degree training kung fu with an older man who was a ‘bone-setter’
– broken knee cap in rugby told wouldn’t heal,
-> worked with master on assessing/correct or movement dysfunction
– decided to do Chinese med/eastern med masters degree
– met his wife
– biodiversity- use concepts from wildlife / context
– athletic populations – meditation, mental concepts,
Windows of development – don’t waste your 20s
What is mobility
– highly misunderstood
– flexibility = ROM
– mobility is the ability to stabilize thru ROM
ACU – assess correct unify Mobility
Assess for yourself ->
Correct – not passive, targeted
Unify – key to train movement pattern (workout)
Thoracic mobility -> affect overhead , breathing, running etc .
-> 2 balls between shoulder blades then do glute bridge vs. simple roll upper back
-> also windmill arms and squeeze balls
= work tissue and prep for training/
Acumobility stands for: Assess, Correct and Unify your Mobility. By understanding your mobility imbalances and then implementing a corrective exercise strategy including active mobility, we re-pattern your movement to help you move better!
Always need mobility? (i.e. do you do it every day for ever?)
– should improve over time or not doing something
– sit too much cement pattern – 10min help?
– cyclists stuck in flexion/ quad dominant
– can’t be passive to be effective, targeted
– high stress, high-intensity sport, sedentary
– can use trigger point aggressively and short term / can use to activate for training (5reps on a spot)
– breathing and watching can relax into the stress
– if very stressed athlete then would go more relaxed
– TOO HARD? 7/10 pain scale, should be uncomfortable
– weekly series – problem-solving for endurance lifting
– official partner for Spartan Racing
Injury patterns in cycling vs OCR
TOPO Athletics Running program by Acumobility (assessments)
– free corrective
What is roller/massage doing?
– not breaking up scar tissue
– can’t mechanically change tissue
– it is a nervous system response to pressure
– why the movement and lifestyle is important
How to start today cyclist?
– LAVA Magazine Mobility Tag
– upper body/thoracic ext – ‘sphinx pose’
– hip ext
– hip int rot
– hip ext rot
Lunge -> squeeze butt and get to neutral
Time for mobility / self-care?
Try to pare down the amount of time you are spending on mobility and prep to less than 10 minutes, but really make those 10 minutes count!!!
–What are some common mistakes you see in how we deal with back pain?
the book you would recommend to become more like you / follow your path
* big reader
-> Gray cook – movement (see book on amazon)
-> John Beverly coming out with a book on running stride (amazon link) + (and we will have John on the show soon!)